Badge, Parachutist, Luftwaffe, Metal
Rare WWII genuine Luftwaffe metal para badge with a broken attached hook, to be pinned on the Fliegerbluse.
Both the Luftwaffe and Army eventually established paratrooper units, consisting of voluntary personnel, on January 29, 1936 and March 31, 1937 respectively and a paratroop training school was established at Stendal in early 1937. The Paratrooper’s qualification badge was instituted by Hermann Göring on November 5, 1936 for award to Luftwaffe personnel who had written the required tests and completed six parachute jumps. Individuals who were awarded the badge were obligated to requalify annually in order to retain it. On May 2, 1944 award of the badge was extended to include Luftwaffe medical, administrative and legal personnel who had passed the required tests and completed one parachute jump.